Originally Posted By: paul
Quote:
the pressurized tank will exert that force forwards on the pipe, while the air coming out the back of the tank will exert that same force rearwards on the tank.

so according to you , there would be no force exerted onto the sides of the pipe?

I never said that; if you're only counter-argument is to twist my words you've already lost.

The increasing pressurization of the pipe has no impact on the numbers what-so-ever, as this pressurization occurs equally in all directions.

However, the air expelled from the tank does have momentum in one direction - opposite to the direction of the momentum of the tank. Momentum is not pressure, and therefor the equalization of pressure in the pipe has nothing to do with where that momentum goes.

and dont forget those same exact forces are exerted to the front of the pipe as well , you cant just have it your way.

Wrong, wrong and wrong again. I know repetition doesn't help in your case, but momentum is not pressure
Momentum Is Not Pressure
MOMENTUM IS NOT PRESSURE

Changes of pressure in the pipe have nothing to do with the momentum in this system. Why you'd bring it up is a mystery to me (actually, it isn't, since you've consistently mixed up the differences between force, pressure, momentum and energy).

but the forces from the air as it leaves the tank pressing against the pipe is not what will cause the pipe to move.

it is the mass of air that is moving inside the pipe from one place in front to the rest of the inside of the pipe.

So you now think that the momentum of the air in your tank is divorced from the forces which produce that momentum?

Its an interesting world you live in, where things move without forces acting on them.

In the real world things don't work that way - force and momentum are intimately intertwined; you cannot create one without creating/changing the other. Application of forces change momentum, momentums transfer forces.

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA