Originally Posted By: Momos
"Unmanned travel to other star systems is well within current technology, so long as you're not in a rush to get there."

Well, I'm not very patient. So is the public, which has to do the funding.

Sad, but true...

I guess an unmanned probe (possibly a fly-by) would have a chance if the target is interesting enough and the necessary amount not to big.

Not to mention the most practical. People need a lot of support equipment to survive, machines generally do not. So a lot of the mass issues become less when talking about unmanned missions.

My initial interest in this topic is the question if it is entirely impossible to get to the nearest star system broadly within the lifespan of a human.

With current tech I doubt it, but I'd bet some of the proposals out there could do it in the near-ish future (assuming enough money is spent on the R&D side of things).

"laser powered solar sails" have several advantages, but the main disadvantage would be the political ramifications of Multi-Terrawat-Lasers in space.

Stupid politics, getting in the way of our fun smile

So far the only remotely feasible concept, given my wishes, seems to be nuclear pulse propulsion.
However I calculate the needed masses/energies are always to big.

Did you look into some of the other techs like VASIMR? I believe they get ISP's similar to that (maybe even better) than that of orion.

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA