I have a possibly dumb question. But then, what better place . . . .

The "Moon Landing" was covered by journalists from news agencies around the world. Pretend for a second or two that you own one of those news agencies. Either you are one of the hundreds of thousands of people who have been brought into this vast conspiracy, or you have been kept from the normal investigation that goes into news reporting. In other words, you know or suspect that something of global importance, something that has been called the greatest achievement of mankind, is a fraud.

Where do you think your interest lies, in ignoring your suspicions, or in exploiting them for the unimaginable financial gain you would get from exposing the greatest hoax in the history of the world?

And just how much hush money would you, your descendents, the thousands of staff you employ and their descendents, and all the peripheral people who might have overheard conversations in the any of the bars that seem somehow to locate around newsgathering organizations--just how much hush money would you need for forty years of continuing this conspiracy?

Oh wait! I think I know the answer. Like Carl Allen (aka Carlos Allende) and his Philadelphia Experiment, you were probably one of those people in a bar who misunderstood a conversation and built a hoax of your own around it.

(Carl Allen, whom I never our in ten years of acquaintance saw sober, tried to get me to publish his research, which consisted solely of notes he had written in a science fiction novel. Any other versions you've ever heard of the Genesis of the Philadelphia Experiment are pure and unadulterated bullshit.)