Before you get a reply from someone who really knows their stuff, I think I can safely say this much...

The sun's power source, i.e. the fusion of hydrogen into helium, creates sufficient outward pressure to prevent it collapsing under it's own gravity. In other words, it has hydrostatic equilibrium. However, the current prediction is that the sun will increase its energy output gradually, but enough to make Earth uninhabitable within a couple of billion years.

Eventually, about 5 billion years from now, the hydrogen core will be depleted. in the absence of internal radiation pressure, gravity will finally win, and the sun will implode then 'bounce', expanding to become a comparatively enormous red giant (beyond Earth orbit in radius). It will then be sustaining itself through fusing helium into carbon. Finally, when the helium is finished, the outer layers will be lost. It will become an Earth-sized white dwarf, which will cool, over billions of years, into a cold black lump of carbon called a black dwarf.

No black hole, neutron star, or spectacular supernova for a star as small as Sol. Just a lump of coal smile

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler