Originally Posted By: Zephir
Originally Posted By: stereologist
..When we talk about the speed of light we mean in a vacuum....The speed of light is constant for all observers.
If speed of light in vacuum is constant for every observer, how is it possible, light is moving through vacuum around massive objects in different speed - so it's bended around?

Come on - everyone can see, it's just a path of light, what is bending here - not some space-time, which even nobody did ever see.
Very well said TFF. Thanks.

I'm not a physicists either, but I have played one on TV... wink
...I like to call it Integrative Science.
===

Zyphir,
I wish I had your abilities with the graphics. I'm assuming these are your creations; but even if not, I'd like to suggest that those curving red lines travelling around the "black spot" are not drawn correctly (if they're supposed to mirror reality).

The upper (outer) red line should veer out to the right, farther away from the center of the black spot relative to where the inner red line ends up. ...maybe that is not explained very well....
The red lines should diverge from each other as they veer around the massive object, with the inner line being closest to remaining a perfect circle, and the outer line appearing more parabolic.
The lines shouldn't remain parallel, but be farther apart after passing by the object--"stretching" the image.

It may then seem as if the speed of light is different for these two red lines, but you need to recall that times runs faster for the outer red line (when it is curving) than for the inner red line--as it curves.
...or is it easier to visualize by defining time as moving slower for the inner line?
...so while light is travelling at the same "speed" --the inner red line travels less far than the outer line--in the same amount of "time."

...but the two lines do travel the same amount (still the same speed), after covering the same amount of spacetime.

Problems usually arise when we examine space or time individually--without the other component included.

~ nez pas?

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.