Originally Posted By: Ellis
Whilst I agree with you that 'morality' is in the eye of the beholder I nonetheless feel that within the creation of a human-chimp (or other ape) chimera there is an underlying question regarding the morality of doing so. The aim of such an endeavour seems very suspect. The resultant cross would be likely to be stronger than a human in many aspects, but likely to be less intelligent. The uses that such a class of hybrids could be used for would be limited but open to horrific exploitation. As I mentioned earlier, such selection would produce a group ideal as a slave class, not only as servants but also as soldiers. .

It seems to me that the immorality of this idea would be more in the fact that the result of this exploitaton had been anticipated and we had done nothing about it, rather than the act itself.

Your point is well taken. I think you have nailed the likely consequences to the proverbial wall. But, that is not my agrument. You've answered my arguments with a bunch of stuff I already agree with.

The idea of a crossing of primate DNA is not attractive to me at all. But I'm not interested in the myriad opinions on that. I'm interested in what will happen whether I like it or not.

I think a moral argument is about as likely to change anything as a Papal admonition. People show up by the millions to hear him tell them not to bag thier best friend's old lady. Not to spank the pup. Not to lie. Not to cheat the market, not to cap the guy that's pissing you off, and so on and so on and so on.... We've been attending Papal admonitions for centuries and thus far, very few, (very, very few), have ever given them a moment's thought let alone try to live in accordance with them. Everyone cheers and applaudes the Pope. Then they head out to a party where anything goes.

Quote:
It seems to me that the immorality of this idea would be more in the fact that the result of this exploitaton had been anticipated and we had done nothing about it, rather than the act itself.

Okay! Let's see if we can solve something here. I agree. We are going to wake up some morning and realize we ain't done squat. So... what exactly do we, the great unwashed masses, DO about it? Write a letter to Gov. Blagojavitch? Start a grass-roots rebellion? Petition the Pope? Donate to Saddleback Church? Let's have it. I'm all ears. I've read your posts and believe you to be sincere and level-headed. Tell me what you propose and I may just jump aboard.

And that is my argument. Not whether you and I like what's going on.

When you talk to me like I'm five, I want to write on you with a crayon. -- Joanna Hoffman