Yay to everything Ric has explained- so I'll have a go at the teen pregnancy thing. To start with we do not have a huge number of teenage girls a) getting pregnant or b) giving birth. This is because every child in Australia (OK in the public system) has sex ed at school. Parents can withdraw their children from the classes but very few do. This education starts in the first years when children are taught about their body and how it works. They learn to respect themselves and others and they learn to protect themselves against disease and unwanted pregnancy. This obviously includes abortion and contraception. It is a good course and it also covers relationships and drug ed etc. The result is a huge reduction in pregnancies when young adults have the knowledge to protect themselves.

If a girl becomed pregnant and chooses to have her baby she is able to access free care etc before and after birth. She is encouraged to return to school (some schools have creches) and educate herself to have a job as her child gets older, when she can access a Child Care Centre at subsidised rates. Of course some girls have the babies for the welfare-- so what? There aren't that many and we can afford to support their children who will at least have the chance to turn out better than their wastrel parents!

And yes Rev I do think we have an obligation to look after those who find life hard for whatever reason. You think they are lazy, I think they are often ill or alienated in some way. There aren't many of them, and most have ended up destitute from some dreadful misfortune. Given the chance most people will work and earn money. We are motivated by self esteem and a feeling of obligation. Those people are perhaps different. Does that mean they should starve and forced to live on the streets? I happen to think it is wrong to ignore them, and most Australians agree with me.