How much of our energy (planet-wise) is produced from non-polluting sources? Not much.

I don't think we are doomed, but I think the way we live now is. Soon the massive populations of China and India are going to want all the comforts we enjoy. Indeed why shouldn't they? All we can offer them is more of the same. Alternatives are available but we do not try to use them. It is also possible that we may have to give up some of our comfort in order to survive.

(Can I say here that a pet hate of mine is people who wander around inside their over-heated houses wearing summer clothes in cold weather! I know it's petty--but wearing a cardigan or jumper before turning on the heating may help the planet a bit!!) Seriously I think it is a symptom of how little we think when we use energy needlessly.

Incidentally wouldn't the superior Class 1 etc civilisations be obliged to render assistance and help to the inferior Class O yobbos? This would be a further mark of their superior-ness-- otherwise morally they would have to be a Class -1 Civilisation. Superiority of the type claimed would imply all areas should be shiny-bright, and that includes morality too.