G'day Revigking,

Pleasant sentiments and whether you are spiritual or not, to dedicate oneself to helping others is a worthy path.

Actually Australia's economy is about as good as it gets considering what's happening in the rest of the world. Our interest rates are a bit high but our unemployment is the lowest it has ever been and hovering around 4%. There are hiccups. No land has been released to satisfy the increased demand for housing in our largest cities for a very long time and no low income housing has been set aside for anybody. Right now in my suburb, the vacancy rate is about 0.03%. Since we have to move that is a real problem.

Oh and if the question was related to the social problems I mentioned, let's see. We have pretty low teen pregnancies. Sex education is compulsory in all schools. Religion is not. We have much lower drug rates than the US and much lower violence relating to drugs. We have around 100 firearms deaths per year in Australia and considering our population and the US, it is not hard to figure out who has a better figure. And if you think the absence of guns justs means that stabbing deaths go up, you're dead wrong. Our overall homicide rate is statistically insignificant. You have more chance of being killed by lightning.

And guns are not all that difficult to get in Australia if you really want to. An acquantance wanted a gun and got one delivered to his house within four hours. Personally I think he is an idiot but there is supply. There jusn't much demand. Most hold ups are done with machettes or knives. That's still not good but it sure beats killing five people in a convenience store because someone gets nervous.

Regards

Richard

Sane=fits in. Unreasonable=world needs to fit to him. All Progress requires unreasonableness