Hello Ric,

You know, you are absolutely right about some of what you have just said. An item of interest I would like to share with you is this. Politicians do spend a lot of money to get elected to political office, in fact many spend much more than the office pays. For example, our state Senator for this district spent over $170,000.00 to get elected to a $18,000.00 per year seat. It is all public record you can get it on the internet with the state board of elections. This was in the final quarter of the 2006 election. Many of us here in the US have raised hell about this and also term limits. This particular man has served 33 two year terms in the NC Senate. This you are right on.

As for teenage pregnancy rates and just say no to drugs. The US didn't have this problem until it start paying children to have babies by welfare. Lydon Johnson started the "great society" in 1965 and this was the beginning of our problems. There has been a major break down in the US of the family and whamo-what do you have - teenagers having babies with no father, and father then becomes the "state". The state can't even do what it was mandated to do much less get in the family business. I know Ric your beliefs are different than mine, but I think we can agree, a child needs two parents if possible to raise it and show it the right way. The state and religion are at odds with this very topic and I will take the side of religion on this one. I was raised by my mother my father was killed when I was young. She did a good job, and had help from other family members, so I'm not saying a child with one parent is a lost cause. So, I think you might be missing some facts concerning this one. It is the state and Federal government encouraging children out of wedlock by encouraging the breakdown of the family unit. Will be glad to discuss this more with you but I am trying not to write a book.

As for WWI, the US didn't want to get in the war at the time we had a separatist stance. I think roughly 17% of our population then was German, and I will check this figure and get back with you. Many people here in the US didn't want to get involved in Europes troubles. And let me say, my family came from England, my great grandfather was from Liverpool and my other great grandfather was from around Yorkshire, we are as saxon as I guess you can get now. My heart goes out to old England. It wasn't because they didn't like the British or French, they just didn't want to get involved.

As for WWII, Mr. Roosevelt's record has recently came out concerning the embargo of oil to Japan, and I will be the first to say he ain't the hero he is portrayed to be. We are in agreement. Also, he did not pull the US out of the depression, the war did. The Federal Reserve caused the depression by tightening up on the money supply, but Herbert Hoover got the blame, just thought I would mention that, it wasn't mentioned but it is a common misconception here in the US. I had an uncle killed at the Rhine River under Patton, my father fought under McArthur in the Philiphines and my uncle has a piece of Japanese Zero in his foot. He just had a hip replacement and I was called last night because he fell in the shower. I had a cousin that dropped bombs over Japan. The US has had it's share of misery and paid it's debt with blood like everyone else.

Our economy has been proped up by credit for years now. That's our fault. I disagree however, with you on a service economy, like I said the only people that do well are the ones at the top. You have a lot of greedy people Ric that don't give a damn about the common folks. And I differ with you on the Roman economy. In the latter days of the empire they imported about everything they needed, paid out state funded welfare and taxed the people to fund new military excursions. It broke their back, they got broke and got lazy and would rather gamble at the coleseum than work.

"Those who forget the past are condemed to repeat it"

As for guns, Ric I love my right to bear arms and I have never shot anyone. We have too many attorneys in the US and they are getting elected to office and making the laws. And you know, Hannible killed 14,000 Romans in 1 day with swords and spears. The English killed several thousand French in the 100 years war in 1 day, with long bows. Man has always found a way to kill himself. I know it is easier to step off 50 yards and pull the trigger than to slash someone with a sword, but our ancestors did it before guns and we will do it again if all the guns would vanish. Enforcing the laws and encouraging a family oriented society would be a good start to cure this problem.

Don't take anything I say to you as being sarcastic or mean spirited, I encourage the truth from people, you can trust them then. I respect you opinion, it is good to hear from someone across the world, there is always another side. You are on target about the politicians and I was glad to hear someone else besides me say it.

Take care and stay in touch,

odin1

People will forgive you for anything -but being right !
odin1