Originally Posted By: Ellis
I left out the semantics bit, because I do not think it is a question of semantics here, and I left out the bit disagreeing that educating woman leads to a lower birth rate (and I would suggest a higher standard of living) because it is in fact so. It happens everywhere it happens. How can you then dismiss the statistics when you claim,

First off, I would have to say it is not proven that countries which educate their women have a lower birth rate, but that is where the statistics lead to, and it is not a direct path.

I agree it certainly is where the statistics lead to. It takes a while obviously... perhaps a generation or two, but it is measurable and the data supports my suggestion- and for the reasons I have given in the previous post.

First off I don't think I disagreed with you about the education of women in nations leading to a reduction of birth rate, and I think I was saying that the process was longer than just educating the women, but I think we are agreeing here.

I can dismiss statistics when they are presented to the effect that statistics prove something or another because I've been to school, and I took statistics so I know that unless certain subjects are covered like how the information was gathered, and how the data was weighed, or what is the percentage of confidence in the figures, then the statistics are pretty much useless to me. Another point of interest when looking at statistics is identifying what the intent of person who gathered this data and compiled it was when he or she began the project because that has a significant impact on the outcome and interpretation of the statistics.

I know there is a joke out there which says that 90% of all statistics can say anything 50% of the time, but to an extent that is very true, and unless information like what I listed and more is presented then the statistics are useless.

One thing I remember my Statistics Instructor at Champlain College told me was that when taking it upon yourself you should ask yourself what you would want the statistics to say and then look for exactly the opposite result because it was too easy to find information which agrees with your preconceived notions.

Back to how I can dismiss statistics. No not really, first off Ellis I would like to say that I admire your sticking up to me and telling me exactly how you feel and what you think, because unlike most I do not automatically think I am right just because I am me, and as old age effects me, as well as other stuff which I don’t want to talk about I am finding that I am more often wrong lately, but I still like a good healthy argument every now and then. Now back to how I can dismiss statistic. Ellis you said that statistics prove your point, but you did not post any of those statistics, any of the information I described above, or even provide a URL for a site where you got these statistics.