Samwik
Quote:
I have to ask about the last paragraph though. I was just thinking about the melting ice too; but thought it would carry mass away from the CG (axis?), and hence slow rotation down a bit.

I was refering to the [ ICE ] caps.
the [ ICE ] that is currently above sea level.

as the ice above sea level melts , its mass moves closer to
the center of the earth.

and as the ice skater brings in their arms [ closer ] to the center of rotation the skater [ speeds up ].

so the earths rotation like the skater will also increase in speed.

there are very large amounts of ice remaining to melt ,

and this melting of ice [ WILL ] speed up the earths rotation.

of course there are other things to explore such as the thermal expansion of the seas and oceans which will place mass further away from the center of the earth , yet this mass is expanded water and its weight to volume ratio is not the same as that of normal temperature water , so you cannot get a precise weight unless you know its temperature.

many things are in play that need to be included into any forecast or program that will forcast the upcomming climatic changes.

Quote:
Which of us is missing something (or centrifugally dyslexic)?

I say neither , this is a direct result in our education system that refuses to teach centrifugal force.

the education system tells us that there is no outward force in rotation.

[sarcasm]
perhaps this is why the ozone hole moved closer to the center of rotation and is still there today !!!

instead of moving to the equator.

[end sarcasm]

because we are taught that the only force is towards the center of rotation.

Last edited by paul; 04/01/08 06:09 PM.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.