If you are talking about creating a world monetray system, you may as well be discussing a world nation..... because its not going to happen till we are governed by one single body ruling the world.

A couple of years ago many western nations and others around the world met to create a standard accounting and reporting set. The idea was to create something so poeple from any nation could look at the information about a public business and understand what is happening with it easily, with out needing a masters in business...

Being an Accountant and Economist this effected my livly hood and pretty much my future existance so I watched the whole matter very carefully, it was hillarous to see how some nations attempted to twist the ideal or others (USA had the loudest voice in this group) basicly said either you do it our way or we won't be a part of it.

To be honest the wealth of a country atleast when it comes to monetry value is most effected by their Exports/Imports, how much of the currency is in circulation (Pretty much Goverment Controled), and how good investments are paying off in the nation.