Thanks for the links Max.

Perhaps you missed my question because I forgot my verb. Please let me correct my sentence:

If it is the field strength that matters, then once it reverses, it will start to become stronger. The negative effects would be at their worst when the field goes through the weakest level mark. Is this right?

When you say that it is the frequency that worries you, is that an electromagnetic (radiation field was just a term I built using your words) frequency or the number of reversals we have had in say the past million years?

Is there any way to predict, considering the present earth's heterogeneous heat flux, whether or not this particular reversal will be successful or if the field will just start to get stronger? Either way, can we even predict yet when the field should start to strengthen? Seeing as how we fail to understand when the next solar cycle will begin, I have my doubts as to our level of understanding of pole reversal.

The weakening happens slowly over time. The flip, I am guessing, would be quick (perahps a few years?), but then the re-strengthening would happen slowly too would it not? If we are soon to experience a re-strengthening, either just after a reversal or just after a failed reversal, could that indicate a coming ice age? Who is monitoring the current strength of the earth's magnetic field?

Is it possible that outside forces act upon the earth that may affect the earth's field orientation? I know the field is generated internally by the iron in the solid core and outer liquid core, but I am just curious if the Sun's magnetic field is sometimes big enough to affect the iron in our core. I realize that we may be too far away, but I am just asking.