I am not an expert here so I contacted Dr. Richard Alley from PSU on this, here was the reply:

Quote:
The great majority of paleoclimatology is tied to the instrumental record as best as can be done, although some use nearby stations, some use climatological data, etc.--the uncomfortable truth is that no matter how hard one blogs, you cannot make long, well-calibrated instrumental records appear at the sites where you decide to collect an ice core or lake core or
tree ring, and the long instrumental records are almost never collected in places suitable for ice-coring or lake-coring or tree-ring coring, so some long-distance or otherwise relations must be sought. Really, a textbook on the subject would be a good place to start (check Paleoclimatology in the college library), or even better, see the free, online, authoritative report from the National Academies at
http://books.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11676
McIntyre is obviously an interested and dedicated individual, but does not sit in the mainstream of research on this topic, has not done too much refereed original research on it(primarily but not exclusively blogging), and is often (rightly or not) associated with one end of the political spectrum. If you are getting much information from such a source before checking
with, say, the National Academies, you are well off course for a
dispassionate consideration of the issues.

One last thing: we have a refereed scientific literature for a reason. Any issue that you see raised about climate change that has not been published in a mainstream refereed journal, you
should dismiss until the author does so. This is a necessary but not sufficient condition - incorrect things make their way into the refereed literature as well But it's at least a first
cut at deciding what's worth spending your time on. Anyone who won't subject their ideas to formal peer review...well, let the buyer beware. I've done this in a good number of forums, and have been overloaded with blogs from either side of the "debate" and we really aren't going to get far.--Chris

Last edited by Chris; 10/15/07 10:00 PM.