Hey,
I am hoping to get some feed back here regarding this subject. I have done a little research on it, but most of the discussion groups want to talk about accension, and earth changes and yada, yada, yada (not that there is anything wrong with that), however I am a little more interested in the concrete scientific facts and possibilities. Please allow me to list some key points to start:
(1) The main thing regarding 2012 is during that year the solar system is suppose to cross through the galactic plane. As this is a scientifically verifiable act, I have tried to research whether this will indeed happen. I have read articles that say it will happen and those that say it won't. The fact that the solar system (in it's journey around the Milky Way) bobs up and down like a carousel and crosses the galactic plane in it's course, is undisputed.
(2) In viewing photos of similar spiral galaxies, from the edge in, it is evident that the galactic plane contains much debris. In the couple of photos I looked at there was a darkened area where the galactic plane was. One of the photos described this darkened area as debris, I guess it tends to congregate there much like the debris that forms the rings of Saturn. Now whether this is just dust or larger object, I don't know.
(3) However, (this is my main wonderment)
(a) In these photos with the debris areas of the spiral galaxies. there was enough debris to obscure stars behind it. Is it posiible that when our solar system enters this area that we will see a reduction in the stars that are visible?
(b) There is a current theory that cosmic rays help create the weather on Earth by affecting cloud formation. When we are passing through the galactic plane, might we also see a change + or - in the amount of cosmic radiation the Earth receives. And how will that affect our weather?
There's been all this talk about how the Earth goes through periodic ice ages, but I wonder if it might not also go through really hot periods with little clouds and little rain?