First of all I would like to say that I understand Maths and enjoy using it in my day to day life...
However in my opinion there are some limitations attached to it and one major discussion point is the point of origin...or to put it simply the zero....
zero has solved so many problems but has complicated the understanding of reality ...
If a formula gives you something like 1/0 or 0/0 the whole understanding collapses and limits save us within its own limits...I agree that for a well behaved function there limits can remove infinity but consider independent variables...
e.g Energy and radius ....
Let us say we squeeze all the bosons to a radius 0...then it will have something a gravitational pull defined by something like
V(r) -G*Energy/r*c^2 ...(the actual formula may be different but it will help me to illustrate the concept)
at r=0 the energy need not be zero ...and thus the equation goes to infinity...
The trick i used is not at all trick .. it is the real picture...
And I can say with confidence that I have moved the point of discussion to a different location...for e.g if i say that the new formaula(after transformation) collapses at x=1 then it means the x=1 is now as non-understandable as when function was undefined or uncomprehensible at x=0..
Those beautiful equations fail to give the generalized idea of reality .. and this takes away the completeness of the description and we are left with unwanted debated at certain points .. this does not happen in reality...
How universe came into existence is one such point..
In this case the Maths actually dictates the reality in a a very different sense .. and we are forced to believe that there is something special about the origin of Universe or non-existence of existence..
I am happy to hear that no one belives in singularity... but if it exists and is ignored for convinience then its like running away from the logical incosistency of the tool.
As far as spins are concerned it is a vaild concept to consider it as zero or 1 or -1 just as the zero works in most of the cases..
If I choose to call 1 as -1 and -1 as 1 there is absolutely no problem and futher if I choose to call -1 as 0 and 0 as 2 and 1 as 3 there is still no problem if it is a independent variable...because it just changes my understanding of the origin ....for me -1 is the finite everexisting back ground called 0...
If we change every thing which is understood ,to a different scale then we will still have a consistent Physics and Maths but we will end up introducing the infinity at some other location...(and infact if i understood it rightly then this is waht is happening today at quantum level)
Ok thats all I had to say...catch you later..