HOw about another round of living fossils?

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2002-04/m-mds041702.php

Description of a new order, and several species therefrom, with pictures of living and preserved specimens.

I don't want to jump on the species band wagon. There are lumpers and splitters, but mainly it's about reproduction. If they can cross and produce fertile offspring, lumpers would say they're one species. If they can cross but the offspring is infertile, splitters would say they are two separate species. There's the whole rye-wheat-triticale business, too. Plants can do amazing things like diploid or even triploid chromosomes.

For arguments about species I'll stick to bacteriology where my expertise lies. An E. coli is an E. coli, and that's that. You've got a single circular chromosome, a few plasmids for variety, cut and dried. NOthing like these eukaryotes and their fancy chromosomes and pairing for mitosis or meiosis. It's all microtubules and chromosome pairing in eukaryotes. What's really amazing is how often it can go right.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose