I asked:
"Where have you posted the actual statistical methods used?"

JLowe responded:
"- I have already answered this question on this thread. I'll do it again, http://gustofhotair.blogspot.com/2006/11/analysis.html"

Excuse me. That is a statistical method? You couldn't get through grade-school math class with what is on your blog.

For example you wrote:
"From these averages we calculated the deviations from the mean for every month of every year for each station."

"calculated the deviations"?

Where, other than in a pub, would anyone find that acceptable as a description of a statistical methodology.

What would your analysis have shown if in a 365 day year the temperatures were unchanged 364 days out of the year but 10% higher on one day of the year?

I'm trying really hard to be nice here but you don't seriously believe you could turn in a paper to one of your profs with the explanation you have provided except on April first.

JLowe wrote:
"You said that I manipulated data with no proof what-so-ever of me doing so."

I didn't say you manipulated data. I question the value of an analysis done in a closet by someone who acknowledges not being knowledgeable in the subject.

"JLowe wrote:
"You challenged me to provide details of my academic record, because you had serious doubt of it"

And I still do. Because so far you've yet to demonstrate even a basic understanding of statistical analysis. Let me quote you:

"we calculated the deviations from the mean for every month of every year for each station. These were then summed to get the average deviation from the mean for every station for every year."

Do you see a problem here? If not perhaps you should show this to one of your professors and let them point it out to you. Then show it to someone with expertise in climatology.

It may be that someone in the lay public will be impressed with verbiage such as 'mean' and 'deviation' but anyone with a background in the sciences will be far less amused. I can, for example, write 'linear algebra' and 'chi square' but that doesn't do anything except impress small children.

Can you do better?

Last edited by DA Morgan; 12/27/06 10:08 PM.

DA Morgan