Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
TNZ wrote:
"An explanation I read years ago about frozen mammoths suggestd they had been trapped in avalanches, fallen into snow drifts or through ice into bogs or lakes."

That explanation must be incorrect for the following reason. Some of those frozen mammoths were found with green grass in the mouths and plants from temperate climates in their stomachs. All of which are incompatible with any conceivable avalanche.

That said if you can find a reference to the explanation I'd like to review it.
there are two known rapid climate change events that occured in that time frame. one was the ice dam breaking, and another was a super volcano eruption in the same general latitude. either could have cause a snowstorm that could have caused a large amount of ice and snow to form above a normally temporate valley. The grass and plants would still be there, with the valley protecting it to a certain degree, until the avalance buried the mammoth. Neither would have required the extream temperature changes that other theories have suggested.

Rics, yes, i know of the one reversal that took only a few years but again, most of the changes have taken longer. I cant recall if it was there was any evidence linking or refuting a link between one of the cataclismic events (such as super valcano, or ice dam breaking at the right point). Seven years to me sounds like super valcanos.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.