Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
What amazes me about dehammer's answers is that the truth is current industries ONLY benefit officers and stockholders. That is what the law requires. The law requires that "shareholder value" is maximized.
actually I'm aware of this stupidity.

Quote:
Society MAY benefit with the increase in stockholder value but the two are mutually exclusive. It also may not benefit. And right now our laws and business ethics are all based on short-term benefits.
actually they are not mutually exclusive. there are many companies that have found ways of making the compatible. an example is an electric company that gets a lot of its energy from windmills. this is not the best things for stockholders outright. but thanks to some lobbying from several of the companies, laws were made which allows the extra cost of those wind mills to be tax deductible, this means that those companies can make more money from the windmills than they can from coal. this is better for their stock holders. this means its both in compliance with the laws telling them to do things maximize the stockholders incomes, and the environments needs. they are the part of the group that lobbied for this change in the tax laws. why cant other companies do this. the answer is simple. its the people that are involved that are the problems, not the mic. the problem is individuals.

Quote:
One one at Exxon is thinking 300 years into the future. From what I understand not more than 30 years. I would like to think that the children in K-12 schools will grow up in a world in which their governments did not stick them with the tab and pollution from past short-sighted policies. Nor is a policy based on ... well we can do it but we'd better bomb other countries back into the stone age if they do it too ... a winning strategy. What happens when there are as many cars in China, per capita, as there are in the US? I think the answer is remarkably simple to ferret out.
actually that depends on what kind of cars they are. if they are the type we have now, it could be trouble, but then again, we'd run our of gas a lot faster, and would be forced to change sooner.

on the other hand if they are electric cars and there is enough green energy to run them, then it will not be near the problem you insinuate it is.

if you don't want the grandchildren to have to pay the bills for this, why not get off your duff and do something about it. there are tons of groups working on getting the laws changed, join them. otherwise your just part of the problem.

Quote:
The Texas mentality is *** think personally act personally *** and it won't work long term. There is not enough room in the solar system for a boatload of cowboys.
once more your lack of understanding of reality is extremely showing. there are more people with that attitude in the northwest than there are in Texas. there are places in Texas that have already begun working on using hogs manure (we have a lot of hog farms in some parts of the country) to produce gas to produce electricity. since the gas is being produce by natural processes that start with co2 in the air, and end with co2 in the air, there is no additional pollutions created. why do they do this? simple, the owners of the hog farmers spotted a possibly new source of revenue. between tax breaks and things like that, this is very good for the stock holders. if you want to change industry to a more green one, this is a good way to do it. btb one of the reasons they did this is a little known law in texas that gives industries breaks for doing thing like this. does the state of washington have such laws?

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.