I recently heard of an argument that the slowing spin-rate of earth was partly responsible for the demise of the dinosaurs - not so much a giant meteorite or the Ice Age ? as their bulk was permissible due to the slingshot-effect at/on the surface (the same force that helps whip spacecraft into orbit) and, as earth?s rotation slowed down, the giants started ?feeling? the ?beached whale? effects to the extent that they lost their fight for life? against gravity.? Hmmm? was there merit in this madness?? I thought. After all, Brachiosaurus in particular topped the ?permissible? limit for terra firma?s at 50-odd tonnes. So instead of a short, pessimistic ?NO?, I dug around and found the following:
? There are arguments both for- and against the slowing spin-rate of earth (though personally the former would seem more logical), whilst some argue that the rate fluctuates over time.
? I ?bought into? the slowing rate idea, and the consensus among this fraternity seems to be that earth is decelerating by +/- 0.001 ? 0.002 seconds per century.
? The current spin-rate induces an equatorial ?bulge? of some 27-odd miles at the equator.
? Spacecraft launched closer to the equator require about 13% less propellant.
? A day was about 6.5 hours long when earth was formed about 4.5 billion years ago.

Per my humble math the earth has gained a measly 1 hour per year (relevant) since the time of the dinosaurs about 200 million years ago, so it?s about 45 minutes gain per year (relevant) until their extinction about 65 million years ago ? hardly enough to induce drastic change, let alone extinction. Anyway, the rate of reduction was/is so slow that (here we go) evolution would have had sufficient time to work its magic, and besides, the effects (as per the ?argument?) relevant to equatorial/polar proximity vary accordingly.

And my point is? It?s interesting to have ? in the process - learnt a bit more of the effects of the gradual slow-down of earth: its effects on the landscape, climate, ocean levels and the subsequent counter-effects on, and of, Mother Nature ? things I haven?t really considered too much about this seemingly humble process that affords us, inter alia, dawn & dusk, day & night. Also: don?t go trying any new golf clubs from Pro-Shops near the equator ? your improved long-drives could be misleading. (and for those who think I?m being serious?;-)

Quote: A 15% increase in the equatorial circumference of the faster rotating young planet, relative to its present rotation, could produce approximately 3600 more miles of surface around the young planet's equatorial zone. This was a lot of surface to crunch into the ever-changing shape of the planet as its rotation gradually slowed over the ages.

For some interesting reading pop ?is earth slowing down?? into ask.com or go to http://www.creation-answers.com/slowing.htm or http://www.novan.com/earth.htm for a quick browse.

And that?s all I have to say about that.

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." --George W. Bush, Saginaw, Mich., Sept. 29, 2000