I know I've had my personal idea about the Big Bang theory ever since I first heard it in school, and I often wonder if anyone else finds it as silly as I do.

The idea of a "Big Bang" as the origin of all matter and energy in the entire universe just seems ridiculous to me. I understand why the theory came about, the apparent expanding motion of the universe, the existence of a uniform cosmic microwave background, etc. But I think there could be another reason for all these things that makes much more sense.

Today I read the article on this site "Big Bang Bruhaha Brewing" about the lack of consistent microwave shadows behind galatic clusters, and how this is essentially throwing a monkeywrench into the Big Bang theory. I thought, finally, scientists may be finding the theory is not all it's cracked up to be.

I don't claim to be all-knowing about universal science, but I do try to keep informed because I'm greatly intrigued by the topic. I may be wrong, but I'd like to voice my idea about the universe, and see what others think.

I think the universe is like a big ocean, that ebbs and flows in waves. Currently, we're on an outward wave, which is why the universe appears to be expanding. Maybe in a few million, billion, or trillion years, we may be pulled into a "rip tide" of sorts, where the universe will appear to contract. As far as the story I read today about the uniform cosmic microwave background, why can't it be uniform simply because our universal ocean is saturated with microwaves, the way our earthen oceans are saturated with salt? It would explain why the "shadows" aren't consistent... the microwaves might be temporarily disturbed by something, but eventually regain equilibrium (again, think salt in the ocean.) I've had other supportive arguments in the past, but at the moment they slip my mind.

Just a thought...