"why wouldn?t this basic knowledge be built into the system if it had been created?"

Not this again! Ok look, let's say I were to create a simulation of the laws of physics (known to me) on my super computer (let's also say that I owned one). And also created life (an AI system) within this simulation. I have, essentially, 'created' a universe. I am God. This computer simulation that exists independantly of the 'real' world (where I am) is still operating on the laws of physics of the real world. For example, if I were to get annoyed and smash the CPU the world I created would cease to exist. So, when talking about creators one can always ask the question; who created the creator? The answer is always somebody -till we reach the truly real world that is not a simulation, but a real thing. The answer to who created this world is no-one, It just plain exists. 1+1 can equal 3 in any simulation you like, but in the real world 1+1 will equal x, and that's the only way things can be, and those are the real laws of science.