Just to clarify, because I am weak willed and find I must answer you because you misrepresent me.

I am embarrased by Christianity's actions when they conflict with it's founders commands.

Anything that has been done that conflicts with the following statements is undefendable:

Love one another.

Turn the other cheek.

Love your enemies.

There is not one word of Christ's that justifies violence, or even the disgraceful persecution of gays, or the equally disgusting racism that you might encounter in the Bible belt. Any Christian that kills or maims a Doctor who performs abortion is beyond contempt - (it has happened). The same for genocide (Rwanda).

The same is true of the inquisition, the witch trials, and the crusades.

I am equally embarassed that the Catholic pronouncements on contraception have led to many deaths from Aids.

The church should never hold such power - power is a corrupting force.

Christ asked us to lay down power and take up love - he urged nothing but serving others - all others, not just the ones you agree with or like.

It should not be forgotten that many people 'play' at religion, there are fewer real Christians than you could imagine.

"Not everyone who says to Me, "Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' And then I will declare to them, "I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'

And I am intimately familiar with suffering, and know better than to shrug my shoulders and say it is 'God's Will'. The issue is far more complex than that.

Do not demolish straw men.

Regards,

Blacknad.