Beliefs are not preposterous. But each set has fallacies, just as the belief system of SCIENCE has.

Anyone worth their salt will at least acknowledge the possibility of their belief system being off base for another individual.

But I don't think that is the point. In my opinion, as long as the belief system is working for that individual (without doing outright harm to others) then it is right for that person.

It is the act of believing that gives a lot of folks peace.

For myself, I believe that there are many things I will never understand, and coming to grips with the uncomfortable feeling of not having all the answers is a foundation for my athiesm.

I also think the word athiesm conjures up a lot of negative imagery involving evil. But not believing in gods includes not believing in a god of evil.

Although I disagree with almost everything Philege said previously, I do feel that nature drives the acts of man and he begins early to naturally assess right and wrong (and of course that changes over time and with circumstances).

I don't think the need and drive to survive has changed very much which, in my mind, results in some examples of the 'evil' we see.

regards,

mark