Quote:
Originally posted by jjw004: I see us as a self contained unit... Too simple possibly?
Great science is always simple.
Quote:
Originally posted by Blacknad: When computers are fast enough and sophisticated enough, they certainly will be capable of projecting an emersive reality...
I assume you meant immersive (generating a three-dimensional image which appears to surround the user). I agree that an immersive reality easily could be projected on our consciousness through our senses. Yet, I wonder how fast and sophisticated computers would have to be before they could experience motivation, plans, goals, purpose, etc. necessary to instigate such behavior on their part.
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob: ... a species... could accelerate time in the program simulation that 'we' live in to way beyond their evolutionary stage and then steal our ideas...
I think that the aliens? simulation would be subject to their own technological speed limit. In other words, if they cannot generate such advanced ideas for themselves, no simulation which they create would be able to do so either.
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob:
Therefore, a true replica of the universe can never be made.
Assuming that someday man will develop and prove a TOE (I suppose I should say: The TOE), one can imagine that algorithms based on, inter alia, quantum theory sufficiently may explain the structure and operations of, um, everything, such that the necessity of creating a model of the Cosmos which includes the location and trajectory of each and every atom in all dimensions will be obviated. I don?t think so. Man?s mental life generated through his perceptive abilities and their focus has evolved in his particular environment including everything and everywhere that is, ever was, or ever will be. The chaotic chain of events which gave, or gives, (an ?arrow of time? issue) rise to the emergence of what is may or may not have a beginning or an end. It may or may not have followed a predictable path, have been guided by the nature of things, be infinite or finite, etc., etc. Perhaps man is and always will be incapable of building his nuts and bolts homologue. Man wasn?t there when the innumerous forces in the Cosmos seemingly indiscriminately formed, um, everything. To find, identify, understand, chronicle, and record every aspect of each of these forces, and their interrelationships, in detail, no matter how small, large, enduring, foreign, vague, etc., and to use the data to create a model indistinguishable from the present ?reality?, sounds tough.

VB

Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita mi ritrovai per una selva oscura, ch? la diritta via era smarrita. salimmo s?, el primo e io secondo tanto ch'i' vidi de le cose belle che porta 'l ciel, per un pertugio tondo. E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.