Johan offered: We exist in a computer simulation.

Along the way this became an effort to find a value for 1 in .99999. Not being that keen on such things I would find it acceptable if my problems results always came in within .99999 of perfect. For a while I played with Newton?s constant in search of a clue to help me figure out how he arrived at it and why it worked (I still do) and in the process I learned that a natural variant of .99 or so is OK for many things. I went to the link Johan offered, excerpt follows.
?
II. THE ASSUMPTION OF SUBSTRATE-INDEPENDENCE
A common assumption in the philosophy of mind is that of substrate-independence. The idea is that mental states can supervene on any of a broad class of physical substrates. Provided a system implements the right sort of computational structures and processes, it can be associated with conscious experiences. It is nor an essential property of consciousness that it is implemented on carbon-based biological neural networks inside a cranium: silicon-based processors inside a computer could in principle do the trick as well.
Arguments for this thesis have been given in the literature, and although it is not entirely uncontroversial, we shall here take it as a given.?

I must be missing something here and that is why I make this reply. I start with the conclusion that we live in our brain. What our brain tells us is our reality. If our brain is sick we may have a new reality, bizarre or beautiful that may be, and probably will be completely unrelated to the realities of other life forms around us. This departure from where we were to where we are is totally self contained and originated with our own organics. Now we know that drugs and other stimulants can alter our sense of reality but it is always encased in our focus, our personal conceptions and what we perceive to be true.

My argument with the concept of our living in a computer simulation is that it implies we are all involved somehow. Suppose we gave 50 people the same drug and they all had the same illusionary concepts they would portray. That is still created from within, not from without. A computer, no matter how fast or how large is outside our consciousness and not capable of causing us to exist within in it. The prospect my arise wherein individuals will subject them selves to virtual reality programs and become addicted. That has nothing to do with our existing in a computer program.

There are some very smart people out there and they must continually exercise their brains and this sort of bottomless topic is perfect for that purpose. I see us as a self contained unit that has many capabilities all of which are encased in our bodies. Too simple possibly?
jjw